Stopover up on the mountain pasture
As soon as you arrive, in the beautiful nature and mountains of the UNESCO World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut, you will start to forget your everyday life! The Sonnenalm, in Gosau, is a homely hideaway and offers the perfect rest stop on your hike through the impressive mountains of the hiking region Zwieselalm & Dachstein West - high above the Gosau Valley.
Whether it be summer or winter the Sonnenalm, located at 1580m above seas level, is the ideal place with its large sun terrace – in fact even the seasons in-between have their own appeal. From here you have a stunning view of the mighty Dachstein glacier. On clear days you can even see the Grossglockner. Whether as a break on a walking tour of the Zwieselalm, as a family trip to the pasture, skiing or snowshoeing - the magnificent sun terrace, the relaxing winter garden and the cosy restaurant invite you all year round to homemade pastries and hearty home cooking.
Tips: Hiking in autumn
Autumn is here! Hooray! The most beautiful hiking season of the year! However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when hiking, especially at this time of year.
- Plan tours properly.
- Start early. Especially for high alpine hikes.
- Attention: It gets dark early!
- If you are staying overnight in a hut, register in good time by telephone.
- Do not miss the last cable car ride down the mountain when on mountain tours.
- Information on the current operating times of the cable cars in connection with a hike can be found below under "Information at a Glance".
- Check snow conditions. Because at this time of the year the first snow can already fall in the high mountains.
- We have summarised further important safety tips below.
- We wish you an unforgettable hiking autumn in the Salzkammergut.
Your editorial team
Safety Tips for Hikers
Admittedly, the landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut is the absolute pinnacle for hiking fans, mountain enthusiasts and nature lovers—unforgettable tours to incredibly beautiful mountain lodges and meadows, panorama views as far as the eye can see and cherished moments that will last a lifetime! However, you should remember that while hiking you might find yourself in high-alpine terrain. We’ve put together some resources to assist you: how to best prepare for your tour, recommended items for your backpack and steps to take in an emergency situation. Remember to always play it safe and enjoy your hiking adventure in the Salzkammergut!