First of all…
The following hike is a high alpine hiking tour. Mountain experience, stamina, sure-footedness and good preparation are the best prerequisites for a successful and safe day trip. Please do not attempt it wearing sports shoes, normal street shoes or flip-flops! This ensures nothing will get in the way of an adventurous hike. Still have questions? For more safety tips, click here ... And now enjoy reading about this tour.
Dachstein hiking tour
The Dachstein and its surrounding regions are a magnet for all hiking fans, home to one of the most beautiful hiking tours in all of the Alps, leading out through Styria, Upper Austria and Salzburg. In 1997, the Dachstein together with the Dachstein Salzkammergut region was named a UNESCO World Natural & Cultural Heritage Site. Along the way, you will gain fascinating insights into the local past and future, as well as learning about personalities with a special connection to this mountain massif.
World Heritage Site
"World Heritage" - a distinction that will be worn with pride by this mountain from now on. With its diverse landscapes, it has always been a source of fascination for mankind and, not without reason, is regarded as one of those unique mountain personalities: rugged crags towering above green alpine pastures, bizarre ridgelines, towers and mighty walls, glacial ice, limestone rock and remote high plateaus, virgin forests and scenic peaks, mysterious karst springs and mirror-like tarns, all leaving their distinctive stamp on and around the Dachstein.
King Dachstein Trail
at the Trailrunning Paradise Salzkammergut
Rugged rocky landscapes, green alpine pastures, mighty cliffs, glacier, limestone peaks, remote plateaus, untouched forests, picturesque mountain peaks and mysterious karst springs - these pictures characterize our KING DACHSTEIN TRAIL on and around the Dachstein.
Tip from the Editorial Team
Mobile Phone Reception in Alpine Terrain
On this hiking tour you will be in high alpine terrain. Although the mobile phone reception is widespread in Austria, there can still be so-called dead spots in some places. Here are a few important tips for mountain hikers.
You should bear this in mind:
- Carry your mobile phone on your body: Ready to hand!
- Always keep your mobile phone fully charged.
- Take a small power bank with you (additionally charged battery).
- Inform hosts and friends about this tour in advance.
- Also inform them of the exact route.
- You can find more information on emergency calls and tips on "Safety in the mountains" here...
We wish you an eventful hiking day in the Salzkammergut!
Your editorial team
Tips: Hiking in autumn
Autumn is here! Hooray! The most beautiful hiking season of the year! However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when hiking, especially at this time of year.
- Plan tours properly.
- Start early. Especially for high alpine hikes.
- Attention: It gets dark early!
- If you are staying overnight in a hut, register in good time by telephone.
- Do not miss the last cable car ride down the mountain when on mountain tours.
- Information on the current operating times of the cable cars in connection with a hike can be found below under "Information at a Glance".
- Check snow conditions. Because at this time of the year the first snow can already fall in the high mountains.
- We have summarised further important safety tips below.
- We wish you an unforgettable hiking autumn in the Salzkammergut.
Your editorial team
Safety Tips for Hikers
Admittedly, the landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut is the absolute pinnacle for hiking fans, mountain enthusiasts and nature lovers—unforgettable tours to incredibly beautiful mountain lodges and meadows, panorama views as far as the eye can see and cherished moments that will last a lifetime! However, you should remember that while hiking you might find yourself in high-alpine terrain. We’ve put together some resources to assist you: how to best prepare for your tour, recommended items for your backpack and steps to take in an emergency situation. Remember to always play it safe and enjoy your hiking adventure in the Salzkammergut!