By train to holiday pleasure
The most beautiful route to the Dachstein Salzkammergut region is by rail with the “Salkammergutbahn”. The towns of Bad Goisern, Hallstatt and Obertraun are directly connected to the “Salzkammergutbahn” railway and have their own stations. In Hallstatt it is located on the opposite side of the lake. A ferry commutes almost every hour and takes you to the town centre.
Gosau with train and bus
Gosau itself has no train station in the village. Here, the train stop is located in the Steeg district of Bad Goisern. Hence, the station bears the name Steeg-Gosau. If you want to go to Gosau by train, you must alight the train here and change onto the post bus. This stops directly in front of the station and takes you – without changing - in approximately 15 minutes to the centre of Gosau.
Arrival to Hallstatt by train
By boat into romantic Hallstatt
If you visit Hallstatt by train, you will arrive on the opposite side of the lake. Therefore for the journey into the centre - over the romantic fjord-like Lake Hallstatt - you need the ferry boat of the “Hallstätter Seeschifffahrt”. The ferry port is located below the station and is just a two minute walk. The route is can be easily made with your luggage. The ferry runs almost hourly between the station and the centre. Find out about the exact arrival and departure times on the homepage of the “Hallstätter Seeschifffahrt”. The crossing takes about 15 minutes.
VORTEILScard - the Discount Caerd
Travelling by train through Austria is now faster and easier that ever before. What better way to explore Austria than travelling through stunning mountain scenery, lush alpine meadows, historic towns and picturesque villages. Comfortable trains offer frequent service on 3,600 miles of rail tracks. Most trains have First and Second Class seating. Seat reservation for First Class is free, for Second Class Euro 3.00.
ÖBB - Austrian Railways Discount Card
- VORTEILScard: ..is a great way to save money while traveling comfortly throughout Austria. All varieties of the VORTEILScard are valid for a year and give you a 45% discount on the standard fare. The VORTEILScard can be obtained at all major Austrian train stations – all you need is a passport and a photo. ÖBB - Austrian Railways offers an additional 5% price reduction on Internet bookings!
- More Benefits: With a VORTEILScard you also qualify for discounts on bicycle hire, sleeper cars, “Reisebüro am Bahnhof” (travel and ticket agency at the train station), the Schafbergbahn and many more.
- VORTEILScard: With this photocard, travellers under 26 get a 45% discount on all rail travel within Austria.
- VORTEILScard Senior: Women over 60 and men over 65 will receive a 45% discount on all rail and many bus journeys within Austria.
- For information on additional features of the VORTEILScard senior please inquire at the local train station or contact the VORTEILScard Service Line.
- These discount cards are available at: Austrian Federal Railways / VORTEILScard ServiceLine: 0011 43 1 93000-36457 email@example.com
- For a comprehensive train schedule please visit www.oebb.at.