10 rules of conduct for
Alpine pastures and grazing areas
The Salzkammergut Alpine summer is the best time in the mountains not only for nature lovers, hikers and mountain bikers. Also cows, horses and sheep spend their animal summer time in pleasure on the green pastures of the Salzkammergut. Inevitably, there is often an overlap of the adventure and habitats of both two and four-legged creatures. One side wants to reach the summit, while the other side just want to graze peacefully. So, how should you really behave when encountering grazing livestock onSalzkammergutsmountains?
Also in summer, as hikers or walkers on the pastures, there are a number of things to be aware. When dealing with grazing livestock, there are some things to consider. Therefore here are the most important rules of conduct summarised.
- Avoid contact with grazing livestock, do not feed animals. Keep a safe distance!
- Stay calm, do not scare grazing livestock!
- Mother cows protect their calves; avoid meeting mother cows especially with dogs!
- Always keep dogs under control and on a short leash. If an attack by livestock is foreseen: Immediately unleash dog!
- When on pastures, do not leave the Hiking trails!
- If grazing cattle are blocking your way, use as much distance as possible!
- When grazing livestock approach: stay calm, do not turn your back, go around the animals!
- Already at the first signs of restlessness of the animals leave the grazing land quickly!
- Fences are to be considered! If there is a gate, use this, then close it behind you and cross pasture swiftly!
- Treat the people working here, the nature and animals with respect!
Lace up your hiking boots, load up your backpack and hit the trail! Enjoy gorgeous natural surroundings, charming architecture and friendly people as you wander down idyllic lanes and paths. The daily grind gets left behind and your head becomes as clear as the air in the high alpine landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage Region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut. Along the well-marked paths, you will find the ideal conditions for escaping the monotony of everyday life. Whether you’re a passionate mountain hiker or a nature enthusiast, traveling alone or with the entire family, you’ll enjoy scaling our regional peaks. In our comprehensive route planner, you’ll discover a variety of suggestions for creating your ideal hike. You can pick up a detailed hiking map at one of the four tourist offices of the Dachstein Salzkammergut holiday region. Each map describes favourite routes for exploring Hallstatt, Bad Goisern on Lake Hallstatt, Gosau and Obertraun. We hope you’ll have a wonderful time discovering the wonders between our mountains and lakes!
Sicher am Berg – Unsere Tipps
How do I prepare myself for a hiking tour? What do I take along in my backpack? What do I do and whom do I call during an emergency? Still have lots of questions? You’ll find the right answers here . . .
As is well known, preparation is everything. Here we give answers to the question "What belongs in my hiking backpack?" The most important things for a great hike.